What is Frequency Capping?

John mentions that failing to set up frequency capping in Google ads is a common mistake. How is this done? Where can I find those settings?

Click on your campaign, then click settings on the menu on the left hand side, scroll down, click the bottom hyperlink “additional settings”.

Thank you! I see it but what should the settings indicate? What do I select?

@ngalaod I feel like I missed this also, but turns out he briefly covers it as one of the settings in the week 3 youtube ad setup. Frequency capping is not available as an option for the Search campaign but is an option for the Display campaign and Youtube campaign. Go to google ads > campaign > settings > additional settings > frequency capping.

The setting he used from week 3 is to check the box that says “Cap impression frequency” and select options to do 1 per week per campaign. Cap view frequency box remains unchecked.

The benefit of using frequency capping is that it spreads your ad to a wider audience instead of showing it to the same people many times. The theory is that If someone didn’t click on it the first time, each successive viewing after that has a lower chance of it being clicked on. There are always exceptions of course.

2 Likes