What an unpleasant Coaching call experience

I had a call from Mannie, that explained to me that John asked for him to call me to offer an free coaching session to see whether it works for me - to which I agreed.

Background:
My experience is BSc - meaning mathematical (computer) sciences. I am bad on social sciences (e.g. copy writing) and would love to have some coaching.

Mannie’s call:
This was NOT a good experience. Mannie qualified me three times over to make sure I can pay for the coaching service. He insisted that I call his boss Mr Silva. Mannie requested that I sign in to my banking accounts (3 of them) and give him (on my credit cards) the exact outstanding amounts and credit available - which I refused - since it has got nothing to do with coaching.
Mannie is a strange guy - one is not allowed to interrupt him OR ask any questions. Any question I have to ask to Mr Silva.

My take: (since I have done some coaching in my life as well):

1. Are you teachable?
  2. Do you have enough money to pay?
  3. Are you a fit for the companies’ culture?

Current situation:

• I watched the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNmCAGJP-nE&feature=youtu.be, whre John interviewed the coaching company. I was VERY excited and thought this is waht I need to overcome my weakness in copy writing.

• After my experience with Mannie: It was a VERY long time ago, since I called ANYBODY Mister. Can you imagine calling your coach MISTER? That is the CULTURE of the coaching company.

• After my experience with Mannie: I am not allowed to interrupt while he is talking OR ask any questions. I am directly referred to MISTER Silva. I am just allowed to answer questions… Nothing more.

Talking to MISTER Silva:
Mr Silva phoned me. I answered and said that I am not very enthusiastic about the coaching since:

• I watched the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNmCAGJP-nE&feature=youtu.be - and that is NOT AT ALL what I experienced.
  • I am not sure that I fit the culture of the company, where I have to call people MISTER - as the culture of the company.
  • I believe the criteria to be: 1. Am I a fit for the company culture 2. Am I teachable 3. Do I have enough money to pay.

BOTTOMLINE
MISTER Silva did not take kindly to my criticism - at all. He immediately explained to me that I do not qualify for the coaching program. (No criticism allowed! - company culture - apologies Mister Silva)

What a disappointment where the company does not live up to what the boss explained in his video, when he introduce his company.

Cor Basson

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear of your experience, Cor!

I’ll forward your feedback on for sure.

If there’s anything we can assist with please don’t hesitate to ask :slight_smile: