Facebook Ads Pixel Set up

@AndyStewart Hey so I’m making this post to bring up a big problem with the facebook advertising section of the course. I was the guy on the latest live training ( 7/11/19) who kept asking questions about facebook pixels until we ran out of time.

The problem is this, besides looking at click-bank to see if we are getting hops and sales we have no way to look at the data we are getting from our facebook ads. In the course we are never shown how to set up a facebook pixel. Following Johns system we can see how many people clicked the link, and commented /engaged with the post that we set up, but without a facebook pixel we can’t do anything with this data. Without a facebook pixel connected, facebook can’t optimize our campaigns to get better at finding the people who will likely click on the link. We are forced to run John’s Ad setup and we can’t actually change it or optimize it in anyway because we’re not actually collecting any data.

We can still get sales this way but if everyone in the course is running the exact same settings and targeting, and they don’t have a individual unique pixel that’s getting smarter and better as they spend money on ads, it drives the cost per click up for everyone because were all bidding for those exact same search requirements.(High Demand=High Cost) The set up is great, and the targeting can and does work, but without a unique pixel we are put at a huge disadvantage.

Now my first thoughts were to simply create and connect a facebook pixel to our websites that we just created in the first week. This could solve all of the above problems. Facebook Pixels are able to connect with Word-Press so it should be no problem. But no matter how many times I tried to connect my pixel I was setting up it would fail to connect to my website. Here is a picture of the error I receive.

My thought is that since our website’s are essentially squeeze pages leading to John’s training, there’s really not much data to collect. A pixel typically tracks, Page visits, time spent on website, add to cart, initiated check out, purchases, etc. And since our page doesn’t do any of these things the facebook pixel can’t connect to this type of website. We don’t actually need this data, it’s helpful for retargeting but not essential to getting clicks on our Ads.

I could be wrong. If someone knows how to connect a pixel to our websites and has successfully done so, then please provide how. If so this rant is for nothing and I apologize to anyone who has read this far. But if it’s not possible then we are basically handicapped as far as being effective at using facebook ads.

I have been running a dropshipping store for the last 6 months (Hence why I know about facebook ads and facebook pixels) and have found that I only get sales as I collect data, narrow into my target market, and let my facebook pixel get smarter and smarter. With cold targeting even if I know my target market, I don’t get many sales until my facebook pixel gathers data.

To wrap up this novel, I just wanted to know if i’m right about any of this, i’m happy to promote the course and want to convert a ton of sales but feel that the facebook ads set up is fundamentally broken since we can’t set up a facebook pixel.

3 Likes

Hey @Calebstapel1! Thanks for joining the webinar and for posting here. Yes, you are correct. If you don’t own the landing page/funnel, you can’t place code on it. However, you can run ads without a pixel/event, or you can add a simple pre-landing page and click-through to the target page. That gives you an asset and some activity you can track.

1 Like

@AndyStewart Hey thank you for your response! That makes sense and good to know that i’m not missing some step! Just to clarify, are you suggesting that since we can’t use a facebook pixel we should add a pre-landing page so we can track clicks? Maybe i’m confused on what a pre-landing page is but isn’t the page we set up in the course (Our funnel page leading to John’s seminar) basically a pre-landing page for John’s seminar? Are you saying to put an extra page in before this process? I’m not sure I see how putting in a pre-landing page gives us any extra data. We can already track clicks from our ad running on facebook, we just can’t do anything with that data since there is no Pixel to optimize, and you can’t retarget clicks, and you also can’t make a look alike audience for clicks…

@AndyStewart and @Calebstapel1
John goes over setting up your pixel in Clickbank here
https://members.imjetset.com/lesson/week-2-understanding-the-system/adwords-conversion-pixel-setup/
this can also be used with the FB Pixel. You can learn more about setting up your pixel and the data that is available through Clickbank here

You can read that article in our knowledgebase here
https://support.johncrestani.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022160334?mobile_site=true
This is the direction I was trying to move us on the webinar last night since access to sales pages simply isn’t possible as an affiliate.

In this case you are setting up a Presell page which could also be called a bridge page or a landing page. It is true John’s webinar optin is ALSO a landing page. This is the reason why the affiliate terminology is bridge page or Presell page to create a distinction between the vendor and affiliate’s pages and we don’t generally call the affiliate page the Landing page.

3 Likes

@SaraNightingale Hey thank you for the info.! This is great advise but has nothing to do with the facebook pixel. The video in week two you linked is all for a google ads pixel only and is not relevant to creating and setting up a facebook pixel. The Clickbank article and John’s video do a great job of showing how to connect Pixels (Facebook, and Google) to click bank, and I have gone and done this with my google pixel, but we do not have a working facebook pixel to integrate here. The article in the knowledge base written by @Sabrina assumes that we already have a facebook pixel created and we can simply follow the instructions on Clickbank to integrate it but once again my main point is that we can not create a facebook pixel unless we have a proper website for it to track information. Now I totally understand that we can’t and shouldn’t have access to John’s sales pages. He needs to run his own facebook pixel on his side of things as he should. And if it’s simply impossible to set up a facebook pixel with John’s format that ok! But it not very clear how to succeed using facebook ads if we can’t track any data, and we are all running the exact same ad sets. Is there a formula we are supposed to follow? (example) Step 1 set up a facebook ad, spending $20 a day with John’s targeting. Step 2 Let it run forever? I’m not seeing a third step if we can’t optimize or see what’s working. To be fair we can see how many clicks were getting but we can’t know if they are good traffic clicks or bad. And we can’t retarget or do anything for people who have clicked the link because we don’t have a facebook pixel.

There are literally millions of affiliates and dozens of platforms all with this same exact “limitation”, yet the number of affiliates running successful campaigns…I imagine is also in the millions. Don’t get hung up on this detail. There is absolutely 100% more than enough tracking options available considering the tracking codes, the pixels, the facebook stats and the Clickbank stats. It’s what everyone using :slight_smile:

With that said if you gain enough traffic and conversions there are many vendors out there that will hold special webinars for you, add pixels to their website for you, and even create special commissions, contracts, and assets JUST for you! This is a great goal as you start making sales and scale up your business.

I am not sure I understand why using The Clickbank and FB stats alone isn’t useful to you. Both do indeed provide a wealth of data.

Also you can create your pixel without a website.

1. Go to your Pixels tab in Events Manager.
    Click Create a Pixel .
    (note it states in the bx that adding a URL is optional)
    Then for the next step where it says

Add the Facebook pixel to your website

instead of grabbing the code as FB suggests (Clickbank doesn’t make in on this list https://screencast-o-matic.com/screenshots/u/VgCh/1562965954459-31872.png)
Instead now you will see that your Pixel ID has been created on that page
https://screencast-o-matic.com/screenshots/u/VgCh/1562966019799-64766.png

3 Likes