Do You need a business # as an affiliate marketer?

Just wondering if you would need a business # as an affiliate Marketer. I assume this would be considered a sole proprietorship and i’m just wondering about taxes.

A sole proprietor usually uses their social, and you are responsible for paying your taxes.
best advice is to talk with an accountant.

Ya I will have to get more information on the subject. I want to know if I can claim certain things as business expenses and what not, come tax time. Thanks for the reply Todd!

You can either get a tax id number or use your SSN if a sole trader :slight_smile:

1 Like

I personally have not done business as a Sole Proprietor for about 40 years. Everything I do is through an entity. While there may not be much liability associated with affiliate marketing, I still will not do any business under my personal ID. LLCs are way too easy and cheap not to use them. And, you can write off way more than you can as a SoPro. More importantly, you are only personally taxed on the actual money to take from the business. I only take my personal living expenses, low income. I don’t need to have a large tax bill to make me feel like somebody. I am somebody. The business uses 1/3 of my home and utilities, currently 100% of my primary vehicle mileage, etc… = write offs. Even when I go out for dinner, I use my business debt card and write it off as client entertainment or crew lunch. Effectively, I am a walking talking tax write off. I never use big name accountants. They are watching out for themselves. I use small individual accountants who will write off everything possible. Cover your hiny.

1 Like

In some countries like here in Australia you are allowed to class anything as a hobby up until $40K before having a business etc. Not sure about your country though.
Perhaps go to your taxation site or ring up an Accountant in your area.
Hope that helps
Risa